Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rob's Best: #1: Have Heart - The Things We Carry



Released: August 8, 2006

Have Heart are my favorite band ever.  The Things We Carry is my favorite album ever.  Have Heart were the champions of hardcore for the four years after the release of this album until their final show on October 17, 2009.  The last song they played at the final show was "Watch Me Rise":
'Goddamn', he said, 'I promised myself I'd never feel this fucking way again.
This world has got me praying on my knees for one peaceful thought.
In my mind, my stride, my life,
My time is consumed with a thousand thoughts
Flying free like a flock of birds with no direction or intention of finding home.

It's so hard to think
It's so hard to change
When this world doesn't see you any other way.

In this world, they choose to see me, they choose to see me like a setting sun
So it's up to me, I have to see me like a rising one

In my days, somebody told me that the rain would always come,
always come to wash away the pain
But nothing changes and this world still wants me down
Wants me on my knees praying in that rain
Born this way, die this way'

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

I'd rather die on my feet so you can watch me, watch me,
Watch me rise
With the things we carry:
The loss, the scars,
The weight of heavy hearts.

So, I say to the slaves of depression:
Carry on,
And sing the sweet, redeeming song,
About living this life, free and long,
It goes like this:

Watch me, watch me,
Watch me rise,
For miles and miles.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, but why is it the best album of the decade???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best ever = Also best of this decade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I get that, but you just said that it is the best album of the decade without explaining why you think so. I mean, if I had a written an editorial on why this album was the worst album of the decade, I'm sure you'd like to see some reasoning behind it, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete