Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Rob's Best: #17: Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

Released: November 20, 2006

I didn't know what to make of this album the first time I heard it.  I only knew of the band by reputation and this is definitely not what I was expecting from a band whose peers are bands like Taking Back Sunday and Thrice.  This is a bold exposition of layered sound that grows more powerful upon each successive listen.  The first song that hooked me is by far the most straightforward, "The Archer's Bows Have Broken" is catchy and similar in style to Brand New's previous albums.  Exploring the rest of the album has been an ongoing adventure that has been exceptionally rewarding and exhilarating like riding waves of dynamic emotion through still and storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment