Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rob's Best: #31: Norma Jean - Bless The Martyr & Kiss The Child

Released: August 13, 2002

Norma Jean is the first real southern metal band that I ever heard and I've never looked back.  This album kicked my ass the first time I heard it, because of these heavy and amazing riffs backed with a strong sense of groove and brutality.  Just listen to the 16 minute epic about time itself: "Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, But Something Is Going To Happen" and you're witness to all the grace and dynamics of a great post-rock record combined with the strength and immediacy of a great metal record. 

Fact: "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" contains one of the greatest breakdowns ever recorded by any band.  Ever.

4 comments:

  1. It's true. The only band to come close, in my opinion, to said breakdown is Converge, which I will tackle later on in my list!

    ReplyDelete